English and Secondary Education majors typically take the following courses in the fall semester of their first year:

First-Year Experience Learning Community Courses

We will register you in these courses.

  1. Philosophy (PHIL 201)
  2. English Composition (ENG 101) OR Theology (TRS 201)

Why am I taking these classes?   Honors students take equivalent honors courses.

Major and Elective Courses

You will need to choose and register for these courses.

  1. The History of English Literature I (ENG 231)
  2. A foreign language (see below)
  3. A liberal arts foundations course; a course toward a minor, certificate, or other focus area; or a free elective

Language placement

Your major requires you to complete the study of a foreign language through the intermediate level. Catholic University teaches the following languages that satisfy this requirement: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Irish, Italian, Latin, and Spanish. If you are interested in learning a language not listed here, consult with your advisor.

If you have previously studied a foreign language and are interested in continuing with that same language, or if you can demonstrate fluency in a foreign language, you should complete the language placement exam. 

About Your First Semester Courses

The joint major in English and Secondary Education prepares teacher candidates to teach English Language Arts and leads to certification at the middle and high-school level. English and Secondary Education majors take the same major courses as other English majors. After your first year, you will also take education courses and participate in student teaching to prepare you for licensure. You do not take an education course in your first year.

In addition to English 231, we strongly recommend beginning or continuing your study of a foreign language.

For your fifth course, you can choose what you like. You can take a liberal arts elective or a free elective course in a subject of your interest. Or, you may wish to begin study in a secondary subject area, perhaps for a minor or certificate. We encourage you to meet with your advisor early to discuss the additional courses that may be required for you to earn your teaching license and how they can overlap with university requirements. You may be interested in Drama 101, Theater, which is a good complement to this major. Dramatization can serve as an effective pedagogical practice in the classroom context.

To learn more about the English portion of the major, consult the English Department’s website.

To learn more about Secondary Education, consult the Education Department’s website.

Know which courses you want? Get registered.