There are two types of student employment positions on campus, work-study and non-work-study.

  • What is Federal Work-Study?

    Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. The FWS amount in your aid package is the allotment of money that you may earn during the academic year. Earnings are used to help cover expenses such as books, travel, and other personal expenses. Students are paid twice a month for hours worked. Students who have questions regarding their paychecks or timesheets should contact their campus supervisor. FWS awards are not credited to your tuition bill.

    The University offers a variety of jobs on campus and in community service settings. Students choose their own jobs and must apply and interview directly with the employer. Pay rates range from $8.25 to $13 per hour for undergraduate work-study positions. 

    Student workers are exempt from Social Security and Medicare withholding from September 1 - May 15.  Summer wages for students working May 16 - August 30 are FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxable. For questions concerning this information please contact the Payroll Department, 

    Both work-study and non-work-study job listings are available on Handshake. Student employees may hold only one FWS job at a time. A student with a FWS award may simultaneously hold a non-work-study job so long as he/she does not work more than a total of 19 hours per week.

    All Federal Work-Study Authorization Forms must be picked up by the FALL Drop/Add date even if you will be deferring your award to the spring semester. (See information below regarding Spring Semester Work-Study for additional requirements.)

  • How do I get Work-Study?

    Determination of eligibility for the FWS Program is made solely by the Office of Student Financial Assistance, based on federal regulations and confidential information regarding the student's financial status. Students awarded FWS funds must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester.

  • Important dates—2020

    July - Financial Aid award letters sent
    Early August - work-study jobs made available for viewing
    August 21 - Orientation session: "Navigating Work-Study"
    September 4 - last day to notify us of your intention to work or to defer your award to the spring semester
    September 25 - last day to submit completed work-study forms

  • Work Study—Fall Semester

    How do I find a Work-Study Job?

    Students may begin looking on Handshake for available work-study jobs beginning early August.

    1. To begin this process the student must first be offered and accept Federal Work-Study.
    2. The student will initiate their notification of planning to work (via Google Form). Completion of this form must be completed by the last official day of the Drop/Add period (September 4). Students that do not initiate the intention to work form will have their award canceled and will it not be reinstated. (Actual earnings will depend on the number of hours worked and the hourly rate of pay.)
    3. In addition to the job process, students must have completed and signed I-9 and W-4 forms on file along with the appropriate tax forms. Once these have been completed and processed, the student and the hiring supervisor will receive an email authorizing the student to begin working. Only then is the student to begin working.
    Campus Employment Fair

    We will not hold a Fair this year.

    What Do I Need to Work?
    Before you begin your Federal Work-Study job there are a few forms that must be completed and signed and documents that need to be presented:

    1. I-9 Form. Documents that establish identity and employment eligibility. For example, but not limited to Current U.S. passport, driver's license or state ID card, birth certificate or Social Security Card
    2. Completion of the online hiring process
    3. W-4 Form
    4. Direct Deposit. Students are required to set up Direct Deposit. There will be no paper checks.
  • Work Study—Spring Semester

    If You Have Your FWS Paperwork


    In order to defer your work-study award to the spring semester, students must have notified both our office (  and  the Office of Student Financial Assistance ( by the drop add date (Friday, September 4th). Note that your award will be half of the original amount.


    Changing Your Work-Study Job

    If you are changing your current work-study position come to the Center for Academic and Career Success, McMahon Hall 102 or email Available positions are posted on Handshake.

    Non Work-Study Campus Employment

    Many offices on campus hire non work-study students, please contact individual departments directly in inquire about possible openings. Some positions may be posted on Handshake.